Popular Georgia Pacific brands:
Angel Soft products available at ToiletPaperWorld.com today! Free 2-3 day shipping on orders over $75!
Timeline & History of Georgia-Pacific:
1927: Founded in Augusta, GA., by Owen R. Cheatham as the Georgia Hardwood Lumber Co., a wholesaler of hardwood lumber.
1938: Operated five sawmills in the South.
1941-1945: Was the largest supplier of lumber to the U.S. armed forces. Awarded the Army-Navy “E” for outstanding service in the war effort.
1947: Acquired first West Coast facility, a plywood plant at Bellingham, Washington. Established a wholesale distribution warehouse and distributing yard. Number of employees reached 750. The company’s sales totaled $24 million.
1948: Changed name to Georgia-Pacific Plywood & Lumber Co. Added plywood mills at Olympia, Washington and Springfield Oregon.
1949: Listed on New York Stock Exchange. Acquired hardwood plywood plant at Savannah, Ga. Sales reached $37 million.
1951: Changed name to Georgia-Pacific Plywood Co. Acquired C.D. Johnson Lumber Corp., in Toledo, Oregon.
1953: Moved headquarters from Augusta, Ga., to Olympia, Wash.
1954: Moved headquarters to Portland, Oregon.
1956: Acquired Coos Bay Lumber Co., Coos Bay, Oregon and Hammond Lumber Co. in northern California. Changed name to Georgia-Pacific Corp. Added 10 distribution centers for a total of 40. Sales reached $121 million.
1957: Entered pulp and paper business at Toledo, Oregon with construction of a kraft pulp and linerboard mill.
1958: Created The Georgia-Pacific Foundation to serve as the company’s community investment arm.
1959: Added 15 distribution centers for a total of 60. Acquired Booth-Kelly Lumber Co., Springfield, Oregon. Opened first resin adhesive plant at Coss Bay, Oregon.
1960: Acquired W.M. Ritter Lumber Co. in the Southeast, including timerlands, oil, coal and other minerals. Timberland ownership totaled 1 million acres.
1961: Added paper converting facilities in Washington, California, Iowa, Illinois and Arkansas. Built first corrugated container plant at Olympia, Washington. Employed over 11,197 people.
1962: Acquired Crossett Lumber Co., Crossett, Ark, including 565,000 acres of timberlands. Added corrugated container plant at Modesto, California, and grocery bag and sack plant at Toledo, Oregon.
1963: Acquired Puget Sound Pulp and Timber Co., Bellinghamd, Washington, including Hopper Paper Division. Acquired Vanity Fair Paper Mills, Plattsburgh, N.Y.; St. Croix Paper Co., Woodland, Maine; and Fordyce Lumber Co., Fordyce, Ark. With the Bellingham and Plattsburgh mills, the company entered the tissue business. Began operating the nation’s first Southern pine plywood plant at Fordyce.
1965: Acquired Bestwall Gypsum Co., Paoli, Pa. Expanded paper and chemical facilities. Distribution centers totaled 84.
1966: Added 13 manufacturing plants, expanded five facilites. Acquired from National Polychemicals, Inc., the Lufkin, Texas, and Conway, N.C. chemical facilities. Added chip export facility at Coss Bay, Oregon.
1967: Acquired Kalamazoo Paper Co., Kalamazoo, Mich.
1968: Began construction of large chemical refining complex in Louisiana. Added timberlands and plywood plants. Sales exceeded $1 billion for the first time.
1969: Acquired kraft pulp mill at Port Hudson, La. Completed new gypsum plant at Buchanan, N.Y. Added 11 sawmills. Donated California redwood groves, valued at more than $6 million, to the public.
1970: Completed first corporate headquarters building in Portland, Oregon. Distribution centers totaled 105.
1972: Spun off $305 million in assets as Louisiana-Pacific, Corp., pursuant to a settlement with the Federal Trade Commission.
1973: Acquired redwood timberlands and sawmills at Fort Braff, California. Announced $1 billion, five-year capital investment program. Sales reached $2.2 billion.
1975: Acquired Exchange Oil & Gas Corp., New Orleans, La. Completed construction of plywood plants in Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. Operated more than 140 distribution centers and more than 200 plants and mills. Number of employees reached 33,500.
1976: Announced entry into roofing manufacturing with plans for a plant at Franklin, Ohio. Pulp and paper mill expansions at Plattsburgh, N.Y., Crossett, Ark., and Port Hudson, La. Added new corrugated container facility at Plano, Texas.
1980: Began production of Oriented Strand Board (OSB) at Woodland, Maine. Developed OSB production at Dudley, N.C. Expanded resin manufacturing capacity at Conway, N.C.
1981: Acquired eight container plants, six resin facilities and the Holly Hill Lumber Co., Holly Hill, S.C. Completed construction of a computerized pine sawmill at Ellebell, Ga., and a major expansion of the tissue converting facility at Palatka, Fla. Opened Crossett, Ark., chemical plant, which was the first Georgia-Pacific facility to produce fractionated tall oil products and other specialty chemicals.
1982: Moved headquarters from Portland, Oregon to Atlanta, Ga. Acquired Elk Grove, Calif., thermosetting resin plant and expanded Crossett, Ark., chemical operations.
1984: Announced program to expand pulp and paper operations, including conversion and upgrade at Crossett, Ark., and Palatka, Fla., installation of a large white paper machine at Port Hudson, La., and acquisition of a major linerboard mill at Monticello, Miss., aw well as related timberlands and 15 container plants. Sold commodity chemicals business.
1985: Acquired two sawmills in Virginia. Began production at new OSB plants at Grenada, Miss., and Skippers, Va. Sold Exchange Oil & Gas Corp.
1986: Purchased five hardboard plants, three moulding plants and a kiln-dried hardwood lumber facility. Entered the premium bath tissue market with the introduction of Angel Soft. Constructed and opened new thremosetting resin facility in Michigan.
1987: Purchased U.S. Plywood, including distribution and shipping facilities, five sawmills, a plywood plant and 200,00 acres of timeberlands. Acquired converting and distribution assets of Erving Distributor Products Co., including two tissue plants. Purchased two hardwood sawmills and two pine sawmills. Announced major capacity increases in paper and paperboard product lines. Began operating 12 millwork and specialty distribution centers.
1988: Acquried Brusnwick Pulp & Paper Co. at Brunwick, Ga., including a pulp and paperwolld mill, three sawmills and more than 500,000 acres of timberlands. Also purchased assets of American Forest Products Co. at Martell, Calif., with two sawmills, a particleboard plant and 125, acres of timberlands. Completed construction on second large white paper machine at Port Hudson, La. Sales reached $9.5 billion. Created the Georgia-Pacific Foundation Scholarship program for employees’ children.
1989: Announced proposed merger with Great Northern Nekoosa Corp. and began cash tender offer.
1990: Completed the merger of Great Northern Nekoosa Corp., adding 55 paper mills and paperboard converting plants, 83 paper distribution centers, one plywood plant and two sawmills. Sales reached $12.7 billion.
1991: Sold nonstrategic assets, including two containerboard mills, 19 corrugated packaging plants and related timberlands. Sold two groundwood paper mills and related timberlands in Maine.
1992: Continued leadership role in worker safety and environmental programs. First forest products company to reach Star Level from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration for exemplary safety program at the Crosett, Ark., pulp and paper facility.
1993: Entered into first-of-its-kind agreement with Department of Interior to protect the endangered red-cockaded woodpecker on company lands. Purchased an engineered lumber mill at Roxboro, N.C., and majority ownership of an industrial particleboard facility in Ontario, Canada. Sold Butler Paper distribution operations. Chairman Pete Correll appointed to President’s Council on Sustainable Development, to identify ways for the country to grow economically while sustaining the environment for future generations.
1994: Began a multiyear capital investment program focused on growing engineered wood products. Sold envelope manufacturing and roofing businesses. Began major restructuring of building products distribution business. Entered into a unique land agreement with The Nature Conservancy to protect more than 21,000 acres along the Lower Roanoke River in North Carolina. Published GP’s first environmental and safety report to publicly track the company’s performance.
1995: Began production of OSB at Mt. Hope West Virginia plant. Purchased two U.S. resin facilites from Dyno Industrier, A.S. The company’s sales totaled $14.3 billion.
1996: Acquired Domtar Inc.’s gypsum wallboard business. Completed construction of OSB plant at Brookneal, Va. Completed construction of recycling facility and recycled linerboard machine at Big Island, Va. Completed modernization project at Toledo, Oregon. Created ServiceForce, Georgia-Pacific’s employee volunteer program.
1997: Georgia-Pacific completed its seventh decade. Closed sale of Martell, Calif., timeberlands, sawmill and particleboard plant. Created The Timber Company, a separate operating group with its own common stock that tracked the performance and value of the company’s timber business. Published the first Community Investment Report.
1998: Acquired CeCorr, the leading independent producer of corrugated sheets in the U.S. The company formed a relationship with Southeast Wood Treating, Inc. The Timber Company and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service renewed their landmark agreement to protect endangered red-cockaded woodpecker habitats.
1999: Georgia-Pacific Group split stock 2 for 1. Acquired Unisource Worldwide, the leading independent marketer and distributor of printing and imaging paper and supply systems in North America. Formed joint venture with Wisconsin Tissue to combine away-from-home tissue business. The Timber Company completed strategic sale of timberlands in California, Maine and New Brunswick, Canada. Began sponsoring middle school science and math teachers to attend nationally recognized Keystone Science School Key Issues Institute.
2000: Acquired Fort James Corp. and its consumer brand Brawny®, Quilted Northern® and Dixie, becoming the world’s leading manufacturer of tissue products. GP sales in 2000 totaled $22 billion. Marked 10-year partnership the St. Croix International Waterway Commission with release of 750 adult Atlantic salmon into Maine’s St. Croix river. Recognized by the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce for the best business-school partnership; GP employees tutored and mentored 300 children at inner-city M. Agnes Jones Elementary School.
2001: Began a major marketing effort to present consumer-oriented image to the public. Merged The Timber Company, a separate operating group of Georgia-Pacific, with Plum Creek Timber Company. Sold 368,000 tons of commercial tissue capacity to Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget and a portion of pulp and paper assets to Domtar, Inc. Spearheaded a fundraising effort among Atlanta CEOs to help restore historic Ebenezer Baptist Church, once led by the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.
2002: Georgia-Pacific celebrated 75th year in business. Sold 60 percent of Unisource Worldwide subsidiary to Bain Capital Group. Observed 20th year participating in Salvation Army Angel Tree Program.
2003: Introduced enMotion™ automated touchless paper towel dispensers. Captured several prestigious marketing awards for the Brawny and Angel Soft brands. Sold most short-line railroads to Genessee & Wyoming, Inc. Sponsored the 9th Annual Kyle Petty Charity Ride Across America, which raised more than $500,000 to help create a camp for kids with incurable illnesses. Total 2003 sales of more than $20 billion.
2004: Sold building products distribution business and non-integrated pulp operations. Reduced debt by nearly $2 billion. Sold a 137-billion waterfront mill property in Bellingham, Wash., to the city for redevelopment into a bayside neighborhood. Donated truckloads of bath tissue, paper towels, and disposable cups, plates and cutlery to Floridians battered by four successive hurricanes. Helped repair dozens of homes for low-income elderly and disabled through a partnership with Rebuilding Together and the PGA Grand Champions Tour.
2005: Announced a 10-year marketing alliance with Walk Disney and Resorts. Received the prestigious Catalyst Award for recruitment, development and advancement of women. Donated 38 acres of scenic northern California coastal property – formerly part of GP sawmill – to the city of Fort Bragg. In a $21 billion transaction, Georgia-Pacific was acquired by Koch Industries and became a privately held, wholly owned subsidiary, continuing to operate from its Atlanta headquarters.
2006: Georgia-Pacific acquired Insulair Inc., a privately held manufacturer of premium insulated paper cups and lids. Angel Soft® toilet paper was launched in Mexico. The building products division introduced the innovative Plytanium® DryPly™ plywood. GP announced the installation of two through-air-dired (TAD) machines, which increase the company’s production of premium tissue products, including wny® and Quilted Northern®. Six facilities in the U.S and Europe reached one million hours with zero lost-time incidents. For the third year in a row, G.I. Jobs magazine named Georgia-Pacific as one of the top “military-friendly” employers. Georgia-Pacific Bucket Brigade program was launched to financially support volunteer and small town fire units in GP communities across the U.S.
2007: The Excellence Ireland Quality Association (EIQA) awarded Georgia-Pacific’s Ireland facility top marks in product quality and hygiene, and a select “Q-Marks” award for continuously marking better products and delivering improved services to customers. Harmon Associates, expanded into plastic and metal waste recovery and recycling, and also grew in South America with the acquisition of certain assets of Future Fibers Inc. The Color-Box® business wins a prestigious gold award, at the National Paperboard Packaging Competition for its package designed for General Electric’s NIGHTHAWK™ Blue-White Light Automotive Headlamp. Georgia-Pacific corrugated manufacturing operations were certified by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® Program. The enMotion® Impulse™ 8 towel dispenser won the Product Innovation Award at the International Sanitary Supply Association’s (ISSA) tradeshow, marking the third consecutive year the commercial business was recognized for its innovation.
2008: DensArmor Plus® Abuse Guard® paperless interior drywall was selected as one of the “Top Green” products of 2007 and also received GREENGUARD® certification for its mold-resistant qualities. Employees at the Leaf River and Monticello, Miss., facilities were recognized for sites certified under the Wildlife at Work program, sponsored by the Wildlife Habitat Council. The company launches its Green by Design™ concept, to share the benefits and environmental impact of GP’s away-from-home solutions directly to large commercial product distributors and end-user customers. The Savannah, Ga., gypsum plant completed a $100 million expansion project. Professional Builder magazine selected Nautilus™ Wall Sheathing panels and XJ 85™ Wood I Beam™ joists among “the most significant new products” for the year. The Consumers Products group joined the SmartWaySM Transport Program. GP launches Quilted NorthernUltra Plush®, the first three-ply bath tissue in North America. The SmartStock® Ultra Cutlery Dispenser & Carousel awarded the Product Innovation Award at the International Sanitary Supply Association’s (ISSA) INTERCLEAN tradeshow. enMotion® brand added cool to its resume with the introductino of its new spokeperson, Mo.
2009: Georgia-Pacific’s consumer products retail business recognized by Walmart, as Supplier of the Year for the Consumables Division. The company launched EasyNap™ Jr., the smallest addition to the EasyNap napkin dispenser line. Consumer Reports magazine rated Quilted Northern Ultra Plush® bath tissue the best overall product among major brands. The enMotion® line of touchless towel dispensers introduced enMotion® whit Lotion towels that release lotion when applied to wet hands. Harmon Associates changed its name to GP Harmon Recycling. Southwest Airlines switched from Strofoam to GP Professional’s Insulair® cups, stocking its planes with more than 1.7 million Insulair cups each month. Georgia-Pacific earned the Sustainable Forestry Initiative’s® 2009 President’s Award. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) named Georgia-Pacific Consumer Products and Schneider National as 2009 winners of the SmartWaySM Environmental Excellence Award. Since 2006, total grants issued by the Georgia-Pacific Bucket Brigade reached the half-million dollar mark.